Friday, January 29, 2010

Ambition , What does it mean to me.

“Ambition” (also known as aspiration, goals, or any other similar variant) is one of the highest qualities that I value in a person. Naturally, the opposite is also true – I am not a fan at all of people who lack ambition. I’m not saying everyone should aspire to be the next Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, but at the very least people should try to do the best in whatever they decide to devote themselves towards. I have some friends who are set on becoming rich investment bankers in competitive firms, and that’s awesome. I have friends who want to work with cancer research; that’s great! On the flip side, I have some friends who really want to be fashion designers or wedding decorators. While not quite as lucrative a career as a biomedical engineer or investment banker, I still support their decisions because they seem very enthusiastic and excited about their jobs. Not everyone wants the cut-throat pressure of Wall Street or wants to deal with extremely challenging work every day, and I acknowledge this. The event organizer that devotes her time to learning new techniques, improves her style, and actively seeks jobs still deserves respect in my book. However, the student who doesn’t attend college because they “don’t see the need” and then end up working as a cashier in sari-sari store for a meager income? That is a lack of ambition, and it irks me when my closest friends sometime express ideas like it.

Especially here at inside the mall, it’s sad to see a lack of ambition because we are sitting here at the breeding ground for brilliant people! Someone (whether your parents, donators, or sponsor ) is paying for your Ivy-equivalent education, and it’s not cheap. Why waste someone’s hard work by squandering away your time on useless activities (like roaming inside the mall, playing billiards, and watching movies shows all day long?) That time could be better spent on reading, learning new material, planning your upcoming semester, attending student group obligations or even socializing with friends (you learn a lot from other people). I just hope that people here would create goals and then actively start striving for them; I want friends on the same level of ambition as I do, so that we can help push each other to attain greatness =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment